Industry

Chaz Goulding; from apprentice to teacher

Female electrician and TAFE teacher, Chaz Goulding likes to give back and encourages young women to try a trade

10 Apr 2017

Female electrician and TAFE teacher, Chaz Goulding likes to give back. Starting at university studying engineering, Chaz found she loved the practical aspects of the study, but not the abstract. A friend mentioned to her that TAFE training might better suit her skills and method of learning and she hasn’t looked back since.

Firstly completing a pre-apprenticeship at TAFE Queensland SkillsTech’s Bracken Ridge Training Centre, Chaz finished the top of her class and was offered an apprenticeship straight away. Unfortunately, a motorbike accident meant she could not walk for three months, however, the apprenticeship waited for her and she excelled in the workplace and went on to help her younger colleagues as they came through.

In the second year of her apprenticeship, Chaz competed in the WorldSkills regional competition where she came 2nd, and has since returned to the competition as a judge at the 2016 regional and national competition.

Chaz loves the hands-on aspect of the trade, but is also fascinated by the behind the scenes concepts to figure out how things work. According to Chaz, “being an electrician is awesome. It keeps you on your toes and beats everything I was doing at uni – I just find it so rewarding. When I was doing my pre-apprenticeship, I knew then that I wanted to come back as a teacher to give back to my industry. All the teachers knew this, so when I made contact again, they kept me in mind for any opportunities. I’m very passionate about helping out my fellow tradies. As an apprentice I tutored my peers, during WorldSkills I mentored competitors, and now as a teacher I feel compelled to promote and foster the industry’s future, maintaining a level of standard, especially around safety.

“I’d like to say to women considering a trade – give it a go. Don’t let anyone else’s perception of what it’s like or what you can or can’t do, hold you back. You have to get in there and get your hands dirty. Try it – it could be something you’re really good at. I love the practicality of it and I think an eye for detail comes naturally to women. It’s so rewarding and like anything in life, if you are passionate about it – you will always make it through.”

Make an enquiry

Fill in your details and we’ll be in contact soon.

Please enter your first name

Please enter your last name

Please enter valid email address

Please enter your phone number

Please confirm you have read TAFE Queensland’s Privacy Policy.

© TAFE Queensland SkillsTech 2017.
RTO No. 0275 | CRICOS No. 03020E